This morning was a blast. It was cold outside. Not too cold, but the kind of cold that makes you appreciate a comfy sweatshirt. I bet you’re wondering why I had a blast this morning. Well, let’s just say I had a flashback to my younger days. I went back to third grade.
The Murphy Elementary School in Meridian Township allowed me to be a part of their fire safety demonstration today. I hadn’t been a part of something like that since, well, I was in elementary school myself. There were two very helpful firemen, one teacher, and a very large, very excited group of third graders.
The first part of the demonstration occured inside of a faux kitchenette. The class had to pick out the potential fire hazards that existed in said kitchenette- things like a power strip sitting in a sink, a towel inside of an oven, a lighter, matches, an active burner on a stove…you know- things that would start a fire. Once this part was completed, the kids shuffled into a faux bedroom (if Goldilocks would have entered this room, she would have definitely skipped out on the bed because it was apparently built for garden knomes.) The room had a back window, a door, and, oh yeah, a very loud obtrusive smoke alarm. But in good spirits the class proceded to sit in this room as it filled with theatrical smoke and go through the safety procedures to escape. One by one the kids jumped out the back window and onto a red mat with a loud thud. If they weren’t excited before, they were definitely excited now…and I can’t lie, so was I! It was so cool!