Hello beautiful people! I am Whitney Burney, one of the newest interns at HOMTV. I am a Michigan State University student, a friend, a sister, a daughter, an undiscovered genius and soon to be the face you wake up to in the morning! I don’t plan on waking up next to you literally, that’s just weird! However, I would love to be the voice and face you see when you first wake up and turn on the news. People still do that right? Watch the news in the morning?
I remember waking up at the wee hours in the morning to go to school during elementary and my mom would always have the news on! Sometimes, it would be tuned into our local station but most times it would be tuned into Good Morning America, my favorite news program. I used to especially love fridays on GMA when they would have some sort of fun talent appearance. And now I am here, beginning my long journey to anchor this show.
I have literally known since I was about 12 that I wanted to be a journalist. One day a new friend of mine shared with me that her mother (at the time) wrote for a magazine and got to meet all these cool celebs and I thought… ZOMGGG THIS IS THE JOB I NEED WHEN I GET OLDER!!! Initially, I wanted to write for magazines, particularly Vogue. I wanted to be the next Anna Wintour. Soon after coming to college, I changed my track and realized how much I actually loved broadcasting! I love telling people my dream of working on Good Morning America because I believe in speaking things into existence, so saying it out loud never hurts!
I realize it will be a long road, but I refuse to stop. I know this will be a long journey but that’s what life is about and being a true virgo, I am a neurotic planner. I have a five-year plan in my head which I’m sure will be completely different than I had hoped but I’ve learned that failure is a part of life. And I am okay with that. Without failure, you’ll never know what it really tastes like to succeed.
In the next few years I hope to:
1. Get at least two more internships. I think the more experience I can get, the better. You can never have too much experience, I am a firm believer in this!
2. I want to study abroad. At first I’d hope to study abroad at least twice in my college career but with these four years flying by me at the speed of lightning I doubt this will be possible, but we shall see what comes of it. For now, I have my sights set on a reporting program in the British Isles. It has always been a dream of mine to travel to London and it would be an awesome experience to be able to learn about my profession while doing so! I figure if I don’t make it to the other study abroad trip, I will just work my butt off so I can vacation in other places around the world!
3. Get a good job offer within a year of graduation. I expect to graduate in the spring of 2016. Considering that is only two years away, there’s a lot of work to be done! And to be honest with you all, I’m scared! It will take some divine intervention and a ton more hard work to get me through in one piece!
4. I hope to get married! I know this has nothing to do with my career but, recently I have been addicted to the TLC network which on Friday’s only plays bride shows… what have they done to me?! haha
5. Last, I hope to move to a larger city and find a bigger anchor position where I can each more viewers! For the time being, I have my sights on Chicago, Atlanta and New York City (my ultimate goal living space. I’ve always pictured myself living in a cool brownstone in Brooklyn.
So if you are ready to begin this long journey with me, bring along your favorite snack (make sure to bring me one too… pretzels with cheese preferably), buckle up your seat belt and brace yourselves, it’s going to be a bumpy ride!
Until next time sending good vibes and happiness your way…
xoxo Whitney Burney
Every strike brings me closer to the next home run. –Babe Ruth